Wednesday, March 21, 2012


Best Friend?
          We are approaching the end of the semester and I only have 2 more blogs to post before English 1101 is over. I have to admit I wasn’t really excited about the idea of blogging. At first I thought, I’m free to write about whatever I want, but what will I write about? After reviewing my previous posts, I believe it has become a way for me to vent about issues in my life, express my goals, beliefs and accomplishments. For my teacher’s sake, I hope it has improved my writing as well. I figured I may as well keep things consistent and keep on blog venting… J Here goes… In the Merriam Webster Dictionary a friend is defined as, “a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard”. In my opinion a best friend is all that and much more. As we grow older who we consider our best friend can eventually change. One thing one knows for sure, a best friend could not be described into one sentence. Whether your best friend has been there since you were a young child or someone that you recently met, the qualities are consistent. A best friend is the first person you call for someone to talk too. Whether you are discussing an amazing experience or completely frantic, a best friend is a dependable shoulder to lean on along with an ear to listen. A best friend does not care if you give them a phone call or text, because you have nothing else to do. It’s an individual that you can be around for an extended amount of time, considering you spend most of your time together. Best of all, no matter what that person does, he or she does not get on your nerves…often… A best friend is an individual that you would consider part of your family. He or she is considered trustworthy and honest. A best friend goes out of their way to make a friendship work. Best friends tend to eventually disagree, but eventually they respect each other’s differences and make up. Even during the tough times when you do not want to hear it, a best friend will let you know what he or she honestly thinks. A best friend will express true emotion and respect for what is in the best interest of the other individual. Even during the hectic times and when communication is short, a best friend’s relationship picks up exactly where it left off. Thanks to technology, best friends can figure out a way to communicate whether it is a brief text, phone call, or email. It is very unfortunate that friends are so easily lost when distance separates them. I never realized a relationship could be so difficult to maintain when my friend moved six years ago. I am constantly trying to keep in touch with this person between texts or phone calls. Mostly ringing and a voicemail is what I hear on the end. If a text is received back, it’s most likely to say, “I’ll call ya later”. Which guess what, no phone call! I have learned in my life that time is way too short. I have developed and grown into a different individual with different expectations. I have learned that I want to surround myself by people who want to be around me. I want to be around people who support me and are devoted to maintain a relationship. Regardless of the situation, I am the one who will do anything for a best friend. This girl is tired of trying to make things work. I feel like I am constantly trying to put a vase back together, after it has been shattered on the ground. The possibility of fixing it is overwhelming and discouraging. It requires too much effort and commitment for an individual who does not put forth any in return. I am individual with a big heart and willingness to forgive, but over time the excuses get old and the work gets tiring. Of course there are times when I wish things could go back to the way they used to be, the times when my best friend used to live within the same state. I miss the old days just like some other people do as well, I’m sure. The fact of the matter you can’t make someone be someone that they clearly are not. No matter the amount of effort you display to make a relationship work, you are ultimately setting yourself up for disappointment.. Trust me..

No comments:

Post a Comment